Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Summer 2013 Recap

As the 2013-2014 school year is quickly approaching (I go back on Friday...Yikes!), here's a recap of our summer.

To start with, I always make a to do list in the spring of things that I don't have time to accomplish during the school year, and to make my husband feel like I'm accomplishing something over my break (not that he asks for it, but it makes me feel better). This summer's to do list changed a few times due to the unexpected move. Here is what ended up on the list:
  1. Organize photos - DONE! I downloaded all my photos and videos off my phone and organized those into folders. (If you are an iPhone user, you know how time consuming that job is! When you have 500 some odd pictures, it takes a bit of time to organize.)
  2. Update Lincoln's baby book - sort of done...this is really an on-going project through his first year.
And that's it. What I didn't have down was the obvious when you move to a new place...unpack, organize, put up pictures, etc. The list is pretty sparse this year, but I give myself a free pass since we moved.

Now, for the fun part...what did we do this summer? Usually, we go on at least one vacation away from home every summer, however that did not happen this year. With moving and Dylan starting a new job, it just wasn't in the cards. So, we spent this summer at home. (We are going to Denver in September though, so I'm super excited about that - sans Lincoln!)

We started our summer off right by visiting my brother's family in Texas. The whole family made it down, and we had a fabulous time!
Lincoln meets his cousin, Presley, for the first time.
 
Lincoln's first trip to the zoo. He loved looking at the animals, and then got tired and took a snooze.
Fort Worth Zoo
 
I moved out of my home away from home classroom at Washburn Rural Middle School. This was a sad moment. I worked with the BEST group of people and loved every minute of my four years there. I became a better teacher because of my colleagues who constantly pushed me to improve!


We also moved out of our first home as a married couple. This was a bit sad as well. This was the home where we became a family.
the last picture in front of our Topeka home
We went to the pool in the new neighborhood. Lincoln loved watching the little kids splash and jump in the pool.

Lincoln started solids! He loves his food!
Sweet potato mustache
We went for lots of walks around the neighborhood and park.

On July 4th, we went to Lincoln's first Royals game. You can see that post here.
Kaufman Stadium
Dylan's family came to visit before Adam and Nicole headed out to Ireland. This visit corresponded with remodeling our new kitchen. (Phase 1 and Phase 2)
Aunt Nikki protecting L's ears from the loud noises!

We spent time at Sea Life Aquarium. Lincoln was absolutely enthralled with the fish!


And last, but not least, we played.

It may not have been the summer of exciting trips, but it was the first summer where I got to be a mommy to my little man, moved to a new house, and tried to enjoy the small moments of summer.

1 comment: