Friday, July 12, 2013

Day 12: Something I miss

The first two things that enter my mind immediately are my family that lives far away and college.

First, my family. Since I've grown up with a military family, we were always used to moving around often and living all over the country (and world, for that matter). So, it's no wonder that as we got older, my siblings and I decided to live all over the country as well. I settled here in the Kansas City area and luckily my parents retired here too! My sister has lived all over but is pretty settled in North Carolina because her husband is in the military and is stationed there. My brother is living in Texas because his wife is from there. You know those people from Texas that can't imagine living anywhere else?

A funny side story to this is that when my nephew was born here in Kansas City, my sister-in-law's father sent up soil from Texas so that Logan would "be born on Texas soil." Now that's commitment to Texas! I love them and think it's great that you have that kind of passion for a place!

I desperately miss them all. While it's fun to go visit them in these different places, it doesn't make up for the day to day life that we miss.

Summers Family circa 1997
Nate, Nichole, and me in Germany
The second thing I miss is college. This is more of a nostalgic miss. I miss the idea of not really being a real adult. You don't have responsibilities other than to get your butt out of bed and get to class (and how many of us weren't all that great at doing this one?). You can do what you want when you want. My husband and I will reminisce about our college days sometimes, and we both agree that it was a wild ride! But, life goes on and we grow up to the next phase in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment